Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Age

After listening to the wiki about age subcultures and cohorts, I started to think about how things have changed in my life.  I feel like age cohorts used to be a lot stronger when you were young.  This could be because of schooling or it could even have a big part of how your parents controlled who you hung out with growing up.

I feel like a little bit of both could have influenced us hanging out with kids of similar ages, and in turn end up having similar experiences and memories.

When we were young schooling kept us pretty separated into age groups because of the grade we were in but as we got older we started taking classes with younger or older people and started mingling with other age groups much more often.  Also sports could have a big effect on this especially in the high school age when you start playing with everyone within a 4 year age span.

And now that I am in college I find myself getting along and hanging out with kids who are substantially older than me and also kids who are a couple years younger than me.  I suppose all of our interests sort of "peaked" and we can get a long with a larger variety of age groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment