Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Myths and Moral guidlines



At first when I tried to think of some "myths" that I heard growing up I couldnt really think of any but now that I think of specific personal things my mom used to tell me rather than general ones that we all might have heard from comic books or children books, there is one that I think I heard more than once.

When my brother and I were young I guess you could say we went through a "phase" of calling for help with something or asking for something then just laughing it off by saying "oh nothing" or "nevermind".

My mom soon became sick of this little game and she told us the myth of "the boy who called wolf". From what I remember this story referred to a little boy who would constantly act like he was being chased by or saw a wolf and would yell out "WOLF!!" and of course anyone in the nearby area would come running to his aide.  Turns out he just liked to play this little joke on people, whether it was for attention or for whatever reason.  

After a few times of this people stopped coming to his "rescue" and the one time when he actually encountered a wolf and needed help nobody came to his aide when he yelled wolf. The boy was seen as a lier and people stopped believing him.

For me this meant to not joke around with serious problems and only ask for some one's help if you actually need it.  So if it was for something that I could easily deal with on my own then I shouldnt ask for someone else's help. And also I didnt want to be seen as liar or else no body would ever believe anything I had to say.


Image Credit: https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhGCSXxPpiJGuIhx22ZCs0m3Ng8LwoN-sTGv9Tv-QxORN4Er0Z3bZ2loCoJQLJH4JLo_IwBDHDp1bFgRzoEAYzdJ1ebcRAxyapp49f4v67RyU3Hp4M7K-pXlvESA1z5z8ZvMhZKg6N_tt_i/s1600/yalancobanio2.jpg 

No comments:

Post a Comment