Monday, April 16, 2012

Acceptance




After listening to the Rights of Passage Wiki today in class, I continued to think about any time in my life where i was tested or required to perform a certain act in order to be "accepted" or just looked at as a different person.

Since I didnt grow up in a religious household, I was never under any pressure to believe in any certain way of living. For example a jewish family celebrates a bar mitsvah for a boy on his fifteenth birthday. This is there way of "entering manhood" and starting to change from a boy to man.

But there is one way that I can think of where I was required to perform a task as a sort of right of passage.  That is back when I used to play team oriented sports.  For example, in order to play on the varsity team, I would be in a stage of liminality because I would have to leave the junior varsity team and try to make the varsity team. During this time I would be be performing certain tasks and tests that demonstrated my skills and showed that I was ready to play at a higher level.

Image Credit: http://media.reporternews.com/media/img/photos/2009/08/03/20090803-221513-pic-275857906_t607.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment