Sunday, April 8, 2012

conformity and norms

Along with fitting in with certain subcultures, I have found that my behaviors have had to change in order to just hang out with different groups of people.

Sometimes I have caught myself acting differently around certain people attempting to fit in to that particular subculture's "norms".

For me, it could have a lot to do with age cohorts but I have found myself acting differently when I am hanging out with groups of older people.  These older people arent just a few years older, Im talking like around the age of my parents.  I find myself being more mature, a lot quieter, and not as outgoing around this group. But of course this is more common when I first meet them or arent familiar with them.

After I get to know them I tend to warm up towards them and I can act as I normally would around some of my best friends who are closer to the same age as me.

No comments:

Post a Comment