Monday, February 13, 2012

NEEDS


During this past week I have been paying much more attention to what I actually need in my life and what I have due to a want that I had at one point.  I always have thought of myself as a pretty low maintenance person and Im not always out buying new things because they are popular or I like the way it looks.  But the more thinking I did about what is actually needed in order to survive (in todays day), it soon came to my attention that I do in fact have quite a few things that I dont need.  As I acquired all of these objects I came to the conclusion that they must have been something that I wanted at a certain point in time and I no longer use or I dont use it as often anymore.  It was fairly simple for  me to pick out was a "need" and what I wanted at one time.  The things that I "need" are things that I use on an every day basis or at least a few times a week.

After thinking back on the reading in the book I realized that in today day and age we need much more than just food, shelter, and water to "survive".  I say this because yeah sure we could actually survive with these very basic items but I feel like there are a lot of people out there that think they would die if someone took their smartphone away from them.

I think the same goes for other objects like computers, cars(or transportation), and even forms of entertainment like video games and television.  These things are not needs at all, they are wants that we as humans have become very dependent on as technology has advanced within the last decade.

No comments:

Post a Comment